Blog Post #4

 Project-Based Learning and SS Inquiry

I have learned a little but about project based learning in some of our other classes this quarter. Project based learning is a way for students to engage in content with hands on learning that involves projects, hence the name. It helps engage the students more than direct, lecture style learning because they are involved with the content and are doing the hands on assignments. Project-based learning is a way for students to be hands on and explore their own ways through the content and be the navigators of their own learning instead of being told about things. It helps with engagement as well as creating more learning opportunities in the classroom.

Planning for SS inquiry and project-based learning is challenging but it's a great way to engage students. By having a large, thought provoking question, that causes students to think deeply about the content, and having supporting questions that help the students think deeper about the compelling question, help students become investigators and be hands on with the material. SS inquiry and project based learning go hand in hand because project based learning is a great enhancer to SS inquiry. By combining the two, it lets students fully engage in the SS inquiry lesson by using hands on things to understand the content in a deeper meaning. 

The SS based learning project that I found is a project for students in 4th grade where they create trading cards of famous people in history. They will be given 5 people that they will learn a brief amount about through a short reading and they will use the template below to create a trading card for each person that they were given. The students will then hangout with each other and talk about their "famous people in history" and be given the opportunity to trade with students in the classroom after sharing about their person. I want to do this in my classroom because it's a great way for students to not only interact with each other in the classroom, but learn about many famous people in history as well.




Comments

  1. Katie,
    The Project-Based learning lesson example in your blog sounds like an exciting experience to guid students through and to watch. Students will interact with one another and share information they learned about a famous person in history. It'll be fun, as a teacher, to watch your students talking with one another and trying to smooth-talk a card from a classmate. An activity like this has the potential to leave the classroom and students could continue it on their own time and modify it for other interest areas. Great Social Studies Project-Based Learning activity, I can see myself using it in a classroom of my own someday too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashlyn,
      Thank you! I really think that it is a great strategy because like you said students get to get excited about their famous in history and interact with other students and talk about them. I like how you talked about them taking it outside of the classroom with their own areas of interest! I have never thought about that before! Thank you!
      Katie Byers

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie,
    Great blog post and responses to the task, I really like how you explained project based learning. How you say students can be their own navigators of their own learning instead of being told. That it helps with engagement I agree a lot because that's the number one way I stay engaged in a class and become more interested in a task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madison,
      Thank you! I definitely agree. When students are navigators of their own learning, they are way more engaged in the content they are learning because they get to make their own decisions and choices when it comes down to it.
      Katie Byers

      Delete
  3. Katie, great post! I liked how you used the word 'engage' when describing project-based learning. Getting and keeping our students engagement is so important in the lessons we teach and I think that project-based learning is a great way to do that! I also appreciated how you pointed out that this technique is much more interesting and impactful for our students than any lecture we could give them. What better way for students to learn something, than for them to experience it themselves? What better way for students to answer a problem, than for them to solve it themselves? I've always thought that hands on, project-based learning should be implemented in as many areas and units as possible, so I loved reading your blog! I also loved reading about the example you found. I loved this example of getting students involved! I am currently helping a few K,1, 2 students and they absolutely love Pokemon and the trading cards that go with them. Transforming this into a history lesson is something i'm going to try and implement, so thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      Thank you! Yes, I truly believe that project based learning is way more engaging and entertaining for students than any lecture. Having the students do it themselves is way more beneficial in my experience then just having them be told. But yay! I'm glad my example could benefit you with your students! You will have to let me know if they like it!
      Katie Byers

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie,

    I really liked your project idea of creating trading cards of famous historical figures! What a great way to get students up and moving as well as interacting with one another in an academic based setting. I think this could be used for several other content areas and that makes it a great project !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts